Carlyle Lake 50th Anniversary Planning Meeting, @ Carlyle Lake Visitor Center
Thank you to those who participated in the Carlyle Lake 50th Anniversary Planning Meeting held at the Carlyle Lake Visitor Center on April 21, 2016. For those who could not make last week’s meeting, the meeting minutes are attached.
The next meeting will be held at 6 p.m. on Thursday, May 5th at the Carlyle Lake Visitor Center. We hope to continue to keep building momentum, begin to establish a planning committee, narrow the dates for the weekend activities to be held in the Dam West Area and move forward to the planning phase. Please share with anybody you know who may be interested in participating in planning any activities to promote the area and commemorate the 50 year Anniversary of Carlyle Lake.
We hope to see you on May 5th!
Kimberly J. Hammel
Carlyle Lake Project Office
801 Lake Road
Carlyle, IL 62231
Carlyle Lake 50th Anniversary Planning Meeting Minutes April 21, 2016
Kris Lowe Mike Burton Susanna Brand
Morgan Brand Philip Sledge Cheri Mansfield
Miranda Mansfield Bob Seiffert Charles Simpson
Bob Winston LuAlice Kampwerth Bob Hammel
Kim Hammel Jackie Taylor Doug Wasmuth
Meeting Called To Order
• Meeting was called to order at 6:00p.m.
• A sign in sheet, agenda, and minutes from the April 5th meeting was passed around to attendees.
Welcome and Introductions
• Jackie Taylor welcomed the community and business members in attendance and discussed the upcoming 50th anniversary in 2017.
• Kim Hammel reported on contacts she had made to Excel Bottling Company, Gateway VW Club, Wally Baum Caravan Club International, and the Antique and Classic Boat Society.
• Excel Bottling Company has agreed to partner in a new biking event in 2017. They also agreed to promote the Carlyle Lake 50th Anniversary on their plastic bottle soft drink labels and on bottle caps.
• The Gateway VW Club, St. Louis, Mo. has expressed interest in having an event during the weekend celebration or during the summer of 2017.
• The Wally Baum Caravan Club International (largest air-stream club) and the Antique and Classic Boat Society have been contacted and are looking into the possibilities of what they can do to take part in the celebration.
• The Antique and Classic Boat Society have shown interest in having a show in 2017 as part of the celebration
• The Carlyle Lake Project Office has registered to have an entry in the Albers 125 parade on June 4th to promote the 50th Celebration of Carlyle Lake.
• Several possibilities for an event date were discussed. Those in attendance came to an agreement that June 9-11, 2017 would be the best possible date for the Carlyle Lake 50th Anniversary Celebration. This date would not interfere with school, sports, events and major holidays.
• Kim Hammel is working with Bill King of Benton, IL to provide at least three logo options for use on banners, signs and publication material. One logo has been developed. (Attached is logo 1)
Main Events and Activities
• Jackie Taylor suggested that several main events could happen each day of event leading up to an evening concert.
• Those in attendance brainstormed for ideas for main events and activities.
• Main events ideas:
– Big name Band – Drew Baldridge is possible $10,000 plus $5,000 for stage.
– Civil War Reenactment – Clinton County Historical Society is looking into the possibility of having a reenactment and would like to oversee it. Possible location behind the Mariners Village Convention Center.
– Clinton County Band Show Showcase
– Dog Show
– Antique Boat, Camper, VW Show
• Activities ideas:
– Abraham Lincoln Impersonator
– Sky Diving
– Water Slide
– 5k Race
– Sailboat Parade
– Helicopter Rides
– Sandcastle Building Contest
– Construction Equipment
– Student Science/History Exhibit (History of Carlyle Lake)
• Scott Air Force Band
• Eldon Hazlet Family
• Construction Workers
• Dedication Plaque
• Kris Lowe, Clinton County Fair Parade board member, presented the theme Celebrating 50 years at Carlyle Lake to the Clinton County Fair Parade board members as the 2017 parade theme. The theme for 2017 was voted on and was chosen to be Celebrating 50 years at Carlyle Lake.
Next Meeting and Goals
• Next meeting date is Thursday, May 5, 2016 at the Carlyle Lake Visitor Center at 6 p.m.
• Discuss and narrow possible community events for the year long celebration.
• Sub-committees begin to be formed
• Meeting adjourned at 7:00 p.m.